With pubs and cocktail bars being closed for the last few months, we’ve finally had the chance to stock up on spirits, splash out on new glassware and perfect the art of mixology.
Now don’t get us wrong, we love a ready mixed G&T, but we draw the line at any suggestion that it is The Drink of Summer 2020 (and not even that photo of Paul Mescal can persuade us otherwise).
So, what will it be? More importantly, what will yours be? Something seasonal like a Rhubarb Negroni? Maybe you’ll jump on the latest trend for hard spritzers and seltzers with an Apple Kombucha Gimlet. Or, are you going to keep it classic with the perfect Margarita?
Can’t decide? There’s nothing wrong with giving all three a taste test…
The seasonal one: Rhubarb Negroni
25ml Chase Rhubarb and Bramley Apple Gin
25ml Cocchi Americano or another Vermouth
1 bunch pink rhubarb, washed, trimmed and cut into 3cm lengths
Equal amounts of sugar and water to the weight of your rhubarb eg. 250g rhubarb = 250g sugar & 250g water
- Start by making your garnish. Boil the chunks of rhubarb in equal parts sugar and water and allow to cool.
- Fill your favourite short glass with ice.
- Add the Chase Rhubarb and Bramley Apple Gin to the Cocchi Americano (or Vermouth) and Campari and give it a good stir. Garnish with the chunks of boiled rhubarb and enjoy!
The trendy one: Apple Kombucha Gimlet
50ml premium quality gin
1 cup Nexba Apple, Pear & Ginger Kombucha
1 tbsp lemon juice
Fresh lime wedges
- Combine gin, Nexba Kombucha and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker. Shake it!
- Pour into a chilled cocktail glass and serve with lime and/or thyme.
The timeless one: Tommy’s Margarita
50ml El Jimador Blanco (or any 100% agave tequila of choice)
25ml fresh lime juice
20ml agave syrup (available from any larger supermarket). You can adjust the agave levels to taste depending on how sweet or sour you like your margaritas.
Fresh lime wedges
- First, prepare your glass. Run a wedge of lime along the rim of a short glass, then dip the rim into a small plate sprinkled with salt.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, then add the El Jimador Blanco, fresh lime juice and agave. Shake it, baby!
- Fill your glass with ice and strain the mix into the glass. Garnish with more lime if desired.
The Rhubarb Negroni and Tommy’s Margarita are signature cocktails from The Address, a collection of independent neighbourhood bars in London. Find out more about them on Instagram @theaddress_is.